Documents Required for a Home Loan Mortgage
Getting you the mortgage loan you deserve!
It’s perfectly natural to be a little apprehensive about the mortgage application process, especially if you are a first-time home buyer
Listed below are the types of documents you will generally need when applying for your loan.
Don't let this list scare you. It’s designed to give you a general sense of the types of things you may need to apply for a mortgage. Chances are you have many of them on hand or easily accessible already.
This list will enable you to gather what you need for the mortgage application process ahead of time, so things can move along smoothly when you are ready to move forward with pursuing a home loan.
- Social Security numbers, or individual taxpayer identification numbers for all borrowers
- Home addresses for at least the past two years
- Your most recent paystubs covering at least 30 days of income
- Your most recent W-2s (two years) , or if self-employed, 1099s or K1s (two years)
- Your most recent Federal Tax Returns (two years), including all pages and all schedules.
Note: if you are self-employed, you may need to provide both your personal and business tax returns.
- Two to three-months of statements for each of your accounts: Checking, savings, IRA, 401K, credit cards
- Information on other consumer debt accounts such as car loans or leases and student loans
- Social Security award letter or pension award letter, if applicable
- Year-to-date profit and loss statements and/or balance sheets, if self-employed
- Gift letter if you are using money from parents or relatives (for example) to help cover down payment or closing costs
- Landlords name, address & phone number, if you rent
- May also need to show rent/utility payments to document payment history if needed
Depending on the type of home loan you are applying for, and your individual circumstances, you may also need:
- Proof of identification via a Photo ID (Drivers license, Passport, etc.)
- Copies of your Social Security Card(s)
- Documentation of child support, if you wish to show it as income, and a copy of the divorce settlement
- Copy of your most recent monthly statements for any mortgages, home equity loans or lines of credit you may have on existing properties (if refinancing or purchasing additional property)
- A copy of the signed purchase and sales agreement
- Copy of bankruptcy papers if you have filed bankruptcy within the last seven years
- Explanations for items that might appear on your credit report such as late payments, collections or credit inquiries that were generated in the last 90 days
Interested in Getting Started?
Get in Touch
First time buyer or refinancing? Call for a free quote!learn more
We shop for the best mortgage option at no charge to you.learn more
Crunch the numbers and explore your mortgage options!learn more
Hello Quick Approval.
Save Your Time & Apply Online. Guaranteed Lowest Rates!